KAMA is a non-profit organization established in partnership with the Knoxville Academy of Medicine to promote health education programs that impact the welfare of our community and to encourage friendships among its membership.
In May of 1928, the Women’s Auxiliary to the Knox County Medical Society was formed by seven doctors’ wives with the purpose of giving aid to their husbands in the community. The Founding Members were Mrs. Oliver Hill, Sr., Mrs. Jesse C. Hill, Mrs. Henry Clay Long, Mrs. Robert Patterson, Sr., Mrs. William W. Potter, Mrs. Robert G. Reaves, and Mrs. William A. Shelton. Seeing no reason for their wives to be concerned with their business, the physicians discouraged the formation of the Auxiliary. Not to be deterred, the women began meeting in their homes, paying no dues and with the disapproval of their husbands. The Women’s Auxiliary has since changed its name to Knoxville Academy of Medicine Alliance (KAMA) and become involved with similar organizations at the state and national level. Since the beginning of the Auxiliary, Knoxville has produced 24 TMAA (Tennessee Medical Association Alliance) State Presidents and several of those have gone on to serve at the national level with the AMAA (American Medical Association Alliance).
KAMA’s Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and Philanthropic Fund Board of Managers are appointed on a yearly basis by a nomination committee comprised of previous leaders and current members.